Ulrich Speck, analista político
The independent political analyst, Ulrich Speck, has participated, as main speaker, in a meeting organized by FAES Foundation about the recent elections in Germany and the consequences they may have in the future of the European Union. For Speck, this result showed that Germany is stable and continues with a Government led by Angela Merkel, even if it is with a different coalition. “Merkel will lead the new Government, and I do not belief it will be more complicated than the former one with the SDP as an ally”, he pointed out. In his opinion, “Merkel has reached great deals on EU politics, even if people say the SDP is more pro European or more prepared to work with Macron”.
- “Merkel will lead the new Government, and I do not belief it will be more complicated than the former one with the SDP as an ally”
- “For her, governing along the SDP was a challenge since it has been a great match, a good player, especially in all the issues related to Russia”
- “Merkel has reached great deals on EU politics, even if people say the SDP is more pro European or more prepared to work with Macron”.
- “In the long run, it will be easier for Merkel to work with the Greens and the Liberals because they are smaller parties, new in Government and without previous experience. In the short term, it will be more difficult because both parties have to show they are achieving something in return”.
- “The new Government will be stable and will continue with the same strategy as the former one. Remain in the centre, balance between East and West, North and South, and keep everyone committed”.
- “Defense is the main subject of Macron discourse. He wants European intervention capability and obviously he wants to direct it towards Africa. This is not new, is what France demands to Germany and the EU”.
- “Germany and France are able to reach an agreement on border control”.
- “Germany and France do not agree on its defense programs”.
- “Germany has capacity to intervene in case of an emergency to protect the euro, for keeping the project alive”.
- “The new coalition will be more pro-West in relation with Russia”.
Translation by María Maseda